It's always fun to get new recipes, so here's a yummy one for my fans: Applebee's Oriental Chicken Salad, a fresh, yummy, healthier-than-KFC meal that is light but holds it own.
- 1 Egg
- 1/2 cup Milk
- 1/2 cup Flour
- 1/2 cup Corn Flake Crumbs
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1/4 teaspoon Pepper
- 1 boneless, skinless Chicken Breast halves
- Oil for frying
- 3 cups chopped Romaine Lettuce
- 1 cup Red Cabbage
- 1 cup Napa Cabbage
- 1/2 Carrot, julienned or shredded
- 1 Green Onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon sliced Almonds
- 1/3 cup Chow Mein Noodles
- 3 tablespoons Honey
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Rice Wine Vinegar
- 1/4 cup Mayonnaise (Duke's -- It's all we use)
- 1 teaspoon Grey Poupon Dijon Mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon Sesame Oil
- Prepare dressing ingredients by mixing in a small bowl. Refrigerate while preparing salad.
- Cut each chicken breast into 5 strips.
- In one bowl, beat egg with milk. In another bowl, combine flour with corn flake crumbs,salt and pepper.
- Preheat oil over medium heat.
- Dip individual chicken pieces in egg mixture and then roll in the flour mixture.
- Fry chicken until browned, drain and set aside.
- Prepare salad by tossing the chopped romaine with the chopped red cabbage, Napa cabbage, and carrots.
- Sprinkle sliced green onion on top of the lettuce. Sprinkle almonds over the salad, then the chow mein
- Cut the chicken into small chunks.
- Place the chicken onto the salad forming a pile in the middle.
A couple of notes that we do here at home:
- Add mandarin oranges (canned) to the salad. Mmmm...
- The dressing is hard to mix by hand, so I use the food processor.
- When we make salads, the veggies on the plate consist of whatever I've got in the fridge. So, if I've got carrots, they're there. If not, we forgo them. No biggie. Any lettuce, any veggies.
- This recipe makes one serving. Add one chicken breast per diner, and also duplicate the dressing per diner. (ie. 2 people eating, 2 chicken breasts and double the dressing recipe.)
Enjoy, you guys. :)