Tuesday, May 18, 2010

What came first? The blog or the blogger?

I can tell you right now, the design and the idea of blogging definitely came before any ideas of what I would actually write sauntered into my imagination. Now that it's all designed, I'm kind of overwhelmed by the prospect of keeping it updated on a regular basis. However, that certainly won't stop me from giving it the ole' college try.

For my first blog entry, I'd like to discuss why I'm doing this in the first place. As far back as I can remember, I've looked at the things I've created and wondered, "Would anyone buy that?" It was a defining moment in all of my pieces, whether I intended for them to be mine or a gift. For whatever reason, the prospect of someone seeing something that I've created and finding it to be good enough to actually purchase has always excited me. I feel especially drawn to sell those things in which I am the most interested- I sold greeting cards, scarves, socks (a failed attempt at best), and now scrapbooking elements. I suppose it all comes down to this:

When I find something that I love, I can't help but want to share it with the world.

This goes for everything; if I could sell the joy my son brings me on a daily basis, I so would. (Mind you, the kiddo himself is not for sale). If I could bottle a hug from my mom, or a phone call from one of my sisters, even a walk on the beach with my dad... if I could give these things to you, I would.

However, as we know, love cannot be bottled. Hugs cannot be mailed. But there is something we can all do to share our dearest memories with one another, and that is to scrapbook. Now I know what you're thinking- "that was pretty dramatic just to bring this all back to scrapbooking, lady"... but hear me out. Our memories will live on forever whether we document them or not. We will (Lord willing) remember the most poignant moments of our lives until we die. Sharing those memories is an entirely different thing, though, isn't it? We could journal about it, and hope someday our great-great-great-great-great grandchildren find the journal, read it, and then read it to their children. But, unless you're a world-class author, the stories will probably not hold the same life as the memory itself. The luckeist of us will have families who keep that journal forever, remember our words and trusting in our descriptions and perceptions. But what if we could show them- not with a word-picture, but with a real picture--- what if we could invite them into our world if only for a moment and really make them a part of the memory? I believe that with scrapbooking, you can.

And that, ladies and gentlemen, is why I do what I do. I create background papers for your most fondest of memories, so that you too can share your fondest moments with those you care about most.

While you're rummaging through my stash, keep in mind the memory that you wish to preserve. Imagine the placement of the photos on the page, the smells, sounds, and feelings of that day. Then choose the paper that most emulates those sensations.

Now, there is one more side to me that I must share- and you might not like it. While I am all frilly and soft when it comes to memories, I believe that telling your story is all about being yourself. That means that some pages, like memories, will have sharp edges- some ideas will be more satirical than serious. And that's ok. Take the name of my shop, for example: Shellina Scrap. Notice that it is very nearly "Shellina's Crap". When I was growing up, my mom has a craft closet. It was poorly organized, and it was entirely hazardous to open the door without a fork lift. (Alright, that might be an exaggeration, but you know what I mean-- the thing was a hot mess.) Every once in a while, Momma would recruit us girls to clean it out with her--- sort through it all, and re-establish order. It was during these times, as we moaned and whined while cleaning, that the closet became "Mom's Crap Closet". It's a crude name, I know. Certainly not appropriate by any means, but it was a loving and endearing term, meant to express our love and hate for that closet. On one hand, it opened up a world of creativity for us. On the other, it represented work, and we were lazy (it's true).

I share this with you to remind you- memories are fragile things. Don't create anything that doesn't speak for a facet of you- that doesn't help tell YOUR story.

This is your show. Choose the backdrop here, then see where your imagination takes you.

Happy Creating,

Shellina

No comments:

Post a Comment