Tuesday, November 29, 2011

What We're Eating: Triple Berry Turnovers


Recently I purchased a huge bag of frozen raspberries because I had this amazing idea to make about a million raspberry cream cheese muffins and send them to people as "I'm thinking of you" gifts. It was a sweet idea, wasn't it? Yeah, it was! But all the sweet ideas in the world are just frozen raspberries if they're never made into muffins.

Last week, I bought ANOTHER bag of frozen berries, this time a raspberry-blueberry-blackberry mix, for Thanksgiving. The hubbster doesn't like pumpkin pie or pecan pie (the two kinds of pies being provided by my mother-in-law) so I decided to earn some pie-points and bake him his own non-Thanksgiving-themed pie.

So I went to my freezer last night, and I had two half-eaten large bags of frozen berries. I was running out of room for all of my other freezer stuff (like the 10 boxes of Weight Watchers frozen desserts I've got in there). Something had to be done- and fast.

I did my normal problem-solver: www.foodnetwork.com, of course. And that's when I found heaven in the form of Triple Berry Turnovers- adapted from this recipe by the Neeley's.

WARNING: This recipe makes WAY too much filling for just 8 turnovers. We were happy about it, because we like berry stuff to accompany our vanilla ice cream once in a while. If you don't want extra, cut first six ingredients in half.


Triple Berry Turnovers
Servings: 8
Weight Watchers Points Plus Value per serving: 4

Ingredients:
  • 4 1/2 cups (about 1 1/2 pounds) frozen raspberries
  • 4 1/2 cups (about 1 1/2 pounds) frozen mixed berry blend (blackberry, blueberry, raspberry)
  • 4 tablespoons cornstarch
  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 cup orange juice
  • 1 package frozen puff pastry, thawed
  • All-purpose flour, for dusting
  • 1 egg, beaten
  • Confectioners' sugar, for dusting
Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
  2. In a medium pot, combine the first 6 ingredients and mix well.
  3. Cook on medium heat until berries are thawed and mixture is syrupy.
  4. Allow to cool in refrigerator for 1 hour.
  5. Roll out the puff pastry into a rectangle on a well-floured surface and cut into 8 squares.
  6. Place onto a sheet tray lined with parchment paper. Brush the edges of the square with the beaten egg.
  7. Place about 2 1/2 tablespoons of filling in the center of the square, leaving 1-inch on all sides clear.
  8. Repeat until all the puff pastry is used.
  9. Fold the turnover into a triangle, seal edges with fingers.
  10. Brush egg wash on top of each triangle.
  11. Bake the turnovers until puffy and golden brown, about 16-20 minutes.
  12. Dust with confectioners' sugar.

No comments:

Post a Comment